We have been getting a lot of questions in the office lately with all the increased talk about Covid-19 variants and vaccines. We are still recommending that the best way for you to fight off ANY bacteria, virus, or fungus is to keep your immune system functioning optimally. Unfortunately, you won’t hear about this if you watch the evening news. So, here are our top tips for keeping yourself healthy!
- Turn off the TV! – News programs want ratings and fear sells! Do yourself a favor and take a walk or read a book instead.
- Check your vitamin D level – Research shows optimal vitamin D levels alone can be very effective in combating viruses. A study in Israel found that low plasma vitamin D levels almost doubled the risk for hospitalization due to Covid-19 infection. Your blood levels should be between 50-70 ng/ml and between 70-90 ng/ml if you have any chronic conditions. Not sure how to find out your blood level? No problem! We offer a simple test in our office. If your plasma vitamin D level is low, we can recommend the best supplementation for you.
- Take immune boosting nutrients – Here are some of our favorites!
- Quercetin – Research shows it supports respiratory health.
- NAC (N-Acetyl-Cysteine) – NAC is a precursor to glutathione, which plays an important role in supporting healthy liver detoxification processes.
- Zinc (specifically Zinc Picolinate) – Zinc promotes optimal immune and respiratory health.
- EGCG (from green tea extract) and Elderberry – Research shows that they each promote respiratory health through innate immune cell responses.
- Vitamin C – Studies have shown that vitamin C increases the action of natural killer cells, which cue immune cells that are especially responsive to viruses.
- We have multiple products in stock that have these nutrients and more. Feel free to each out to us for more information.
- Lose weight – The vast majority of severe Covid-19 cases involve people who are overweight. We can help you find a food plan that’s right for you whether it be high fat and protein or intermittent fasting.
- Stay hydrated – Drink half your body weight in ounces of water per day. Find that this is challenging? Try drinking with a straw, a squeeze of lemon, warm, or with ice.
- Decrease stress – This can be done numerous ways including exercising, meditating, or participating in a hobby you enjoy.
- Turn off the TV! – Oh, did we mention this already? Just making sure you heard us. Turn off the news!!
As always, we are happy to hear from you. Please feel free to call, text, email or message us with any questions, comments, or concerns.